Sunday, October 11, 2020

Some Updates...

I'm making a better effort now to keep up with this blog. Sunday has now become my blogging day. For now I am bouncing back and forth between this, my writing blog, and the hobby and craft blog I started years ago. Both are being updated regularly by me, and the hobby blog also by fellow writer and all around good guy, Lee Houston Jr. Oh and Lee has a couple blogs of his own as well, this one on current events and he also has a writing blog.

So, what is going on for me in writing this week? So glad you asked!


First of all, I found the above interior illustration in an email from Airship 27's head honcho Ron Fortier a couple days ago. This is one of possibly nine intended for the first Silver Pentacle book, drawn by the talented Mr. Guy Davis. It features (from left to right) characters Aleta Kalama, Jordyn Orion, and Zephirine Merriwether. Now I have been wanting to collect these loooong short stories into novel format for a while, and was going to self-publish it when Ron asked me to see what I had. He took a good look, and begged to have it. There are two books with two tales each in his hands at present, but I plan on putting together a third one this coming year.

The Silver Pentacle series is kind of hard to shoehorn into any single genre category. While it is technically a fantasy, it has elements of superhero fiction and steampunk in a post apocalyptic setting where The Rapture has come and gone. Staggered rifts in time and space have allowed bits and pieces of the distant past or other dimensions to sift through. Earth itself is radiation contaminated and mostly in ruins, a mechanoid war continues in certain areas, and the survivors that are left behind are eking out a living as best they can. There are still well-off plotters using what's left of science and technology to try to build empires for themselves, and those people are willing to risk precious lives to wipe out the opposition. The older deities of the pre-Christian world are back now too, trying to gather converts as are various demons; and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse are building their armies to scour away what is left of humanity. In the midst of this a celestial wanderer from a family of benevolent demigods who have always taken a liking to humankind decides to come have a look around, and see if whoever is left is worth saving. When he finds the first of the four elemental superheroes, Jordyn Orion knows he is needed here. If this exceptionally gifted and powerful quartet fall into the wrong hands, they can be used as weapons, and humanity will be destroyed forever.

Honestly, that just scratches the surface of what's going on in this series. It's the most ambitious writing I've ever done, and even I'm not certain exactly where it's headed. But it sure has been a challenge, as well as a lot of fun. The first two books have two stories each, and introuduce Jordyn Orion as well as 3 of the 4 elemental heroes: Aleta Kalama who manipulates fire, Zephirine Merriwether who controls all things air and wind, and Roan Finnman, the half-selkie water elemental. They all have their share of adventures, alone and as a team. I have a bare start on the third book, which now needs a bridging section before I can bring in the 4th elemental superbeing, Silas Nakai, who can emulate all living things past or present that are found on Earth. Each one of the team needs to learn to come to terms with their respective pasts as well as harness their current abilities for the vital purpose they can serve in saving their world and those who are left in it. The pentacle issue comes in because as they learn to use their enhanced skills for the greater good, each of our heroes is 'adopted' by a minor deity and given a silver amulet with a pentacle center holding a symbol of their respective talent. And that's enough spoilers for now. There is so much else involved in this series, it's hard to believe all that stuff came out of my head. You folks keep reading them, and I'll keep writing them, and that will keep everyone involved busy and out of trouble. 😉👍



Now as far as what else I have going on...

I have not gotten back to the pirate novel yet, because I have been concentrating on Monster Earth, which has a hard deadline. A couple days ago, I finished that story in rough draft. It's quite a bit too long, and will need a serious second pass to rein it in, but it is essentially done. I plan on starting to go over that tomorrow. Should only take a couple days to excise what isn't needed and smooth the rest out. When I'm satisfied that I have it in the best shape I'm going to be able to make it, I'll send it in to the folks at Mechanoid Press. I figure by the end of next week tops. Then it's back to JJ #7, which needs its second pass as well as a title. Right now I believe Airship 27 should have that by the end of the month. It takes longer to proof a novel than a short piece, but I will give them both the utmost care.

Gee what am I working on after that?


I've got a lot of projects that need attention. I mentioned quite a few of them in the last post. There is the Vagabond Bard novel I need to finish, which doesn't exactly have a home right now. I have a Sinbad started for Airship 27, and another, somewhat long Chandra Smoake paranormal investigator tale that can go to Occult Detective Magazine at some point. And of course as the year ends, i need to get cracking on the 8th Jezebel Johnston pirate novel as well as that third Silver Pentacle. And the big end of year holidays are ahead, which also includes granddaughter Terralyn's 6th birthday. How time flies.

I have to say, 2020 has not been a particularly easy year for the world, but I've kept busy and it has still flown by. Remember that I am an empty-nester in an all older adult household, so my time is my own. Writing is what I do, and that's very much a solitary profession. I'm used to being a hermit of sorts, spending lots of time alone with my thoughts. So much of my year was business as usual. My ongoing struggle with arthritis has made trips out by necessity only, though I do see my family regularly. I'll tell you, I am thankful to have something like writing to concentrate on, because virus or no, my level of disability is not going away. I might in time qualify for some joint replacement or other surgeries, but for now I have to live with the discomfort. Having something else positive to focus on besides that keeps me going most days. As long as there is a reader out there waiting for a book of mine, I'll keep writing them.

I think that's true for most of us authors down here in the shallower end of the publishing fishpond. You folks let the publishers know what you want to see and by whom, and they'll make sure to get our stuff out when they have it. Honestly, even a 2 word review (F'ex: Enjoyed It!) is a big morale booster on those days when nothing seems to go right and you wonder why you even bother. I'm far from the only writer, or illustrator for that matter, who feels that way. Give us some love, give us some feedback, let us know you see our stuff and what you thought of it. We can't come knocking on your door to solicit comments, but our doors are always open to fans. The days when something good is said make the all tough ones getting to where a project is finished, so worthwhile. Don't just do it for me, do it for all of us who labor away trying to bring you interesting fiction that isn't cookie-cutter copies of whatever the mainstream thinks is in vogue. We offer the alternative—the books you can't find anymore. Tales that you can curl up with and let the world go away for a while. Heroes and villains who make sense. Action and adventures that will take you places you never dreamed of. Pure entertainment. Isn't that what reading should be about?

It sure is to me.



Writing On,

~NANCY


No comments: